So the past 3-4 weeks I have been sickly. Like Almost dying sick. This is due to a small cute furry creature you all are familiar with, a CAT! I’m basically stuck at my mothers house where I share my living quarters with this cat and apart from my asthma I’m deathly allergic to this cat.
I went to the Doctors a few weeks back and all he did was put me on a nebulizer (albuterol) and my ventolin inhaler with some prednisone (steroid) (which i never took I didnt want to unbalance my hormones) singular and a cough medicine (Robitussin DM) . These medications did help in my asthma attacks but I was getting little to no sleep, maybe 2 hours a night. I would wake up gasping for air, and all you asthma people know exactly how terrifying this is. I never had it this bad since i was maybe 12 years old. But being around this cat (which i had no choice) really put me into an unhealthy sickly state.
Now around this time I started juicing and started my VEGAN journey maybe a week before i came to my mothers house to visit. I felt pretty good for the first week away not stepping into that house. After 3 days of staying at my mothers the allergic reaction kicked in. I stayed at my mothers for maybe a week than i left again only to return again the week after.
To make a long story short….if you have no other choice but to stay with a feline I would recommend the next few steps which worked for me or at least alleviated my allergic reaction. FYI- Iam in no way saying these are fho sho results or am I implying that I am a medical Doctor but this is what works for yours truly.
- REPLACE your AIR FILTERS! —-This will do wonders i tell you! to provide a clean airflow you must change them every month especially if you have pet(s)
- Cat Lock Down!—–Try to keep the animal that is causing your reaction in a separate room, preferably far away from you, the dander is what kills me so putting the cat away helped, make sure they have plenty of toys to play with.
- HALLS—-For crazy coughing nothing works better than halls! I love this stuff! kinda like candy for me
- NYQUIL/DAYQUIL——Theses are my GOTO OT (over the counter) medicine that always seems to do the trick, especially at night when you cant sleep bc of that darn coughing! your inhaler should always be kept on you and for extreme cases your nebulizer ready to go!
- keep WARM——Sweater, socks, sweat pants, thermal etc. keeping your body at a warm rate will eliminate the asthma attacks. I find that I cough a lot more when im in a cooler environment than a warm one. so keep warm! if need be wear a face mask! I did! lol really helped me.
- RELAX—–NO you cant go to the gym NO you cant run a marathon! just keep it low key with a heating blankey some halls a good flick, your fur babies that dont cause your allergic reaction/asthma, and some hot tea .
- Consume warm foods nothing COLD—-this goes back to #5. by maintaing a warm body temp. your reducing the risk of an asthma attack. trust me on this one! hot tea is best nothing with MILK or DIARY, those will cause more flem and mucus build up!
- Take HOT STEAMY showers—–just as in #5 keeping warm, the steam from the hot shower acts in a similar way as the nebulizer, it will open up your air ways and allow you to breath more regularly. This technique always works for me If i don’t have my nebulizer/inhaler, or if my asthma isn’t that bad that I need to take either one.
- Drink Plenty of Veggie Drinks! ——– I love these drinks especially bc they are specifically made for asthma reactions. Not only are they extremely great for supporting your immune system which is probably shot by now, but it will help your asthma as well. Check out this link for some asthma remedies just for juicing! My fav Romain Apple orange!
- Eat Healthy—– Apart from drinking plenty of all natural juices as mentioned above, having soups filled natural vitamins and boosting immune system function will greatly help achieve a healthier state.Some of my Favs:
- Dilly Stew with Rosemary Dumplings
- Veggie Meso Soup
- Mummys Comforting Miso Soup
- Chick un Noodle soup <—love her blog!
Hope you feel better if your sick as a dog like me but I am slowly coming out of it, just need to get outta my moms! 3 days and counting till we go back to my lovely home with my husband in Colorado ❤